Our beloved Zendaya, hit the red carpets for the InStyle Awards wearing a perfect Afro hair style and I am totally here for it! I’ve been a fan of this young lady’s since my daughter watched her in Shake it Up and K.C. Undercover on Disney Channel. We cheered for her again when she made her debut on Dancing With The Stars. I’ve even covered here at The Sistah Cafe previously: Once when she was verbally belittled by Guiliana Rancic for another natural hair statement she made (locs) and again when she was featured on Michelle Obama’s hit single with Missy Elliott, “For Our Girls”. Now to get to see her blossom into this gorgeous, conscious young woman. Well, she is my bonus daughter in my head.
She WOWs the red carpet every time she sets foot on it and the recent InStyle Awards were no different. This time Zendaya showed up donning an Afro hair style for the gods!! You don’t have to guess what motivated her to do this because she says it plain and clear on her Instagram page.
5 Reasons Why Zendaya’s Afro Rocks!
- She uses it to pay homage to her father’s family and her hairitage with this style.
- She shows us that when it comes to natural hair styles it doesn’t always have to be certain texture. (wink)
- She demonstrates that Natural hair styles can be worn for professional occasions
- It’s very clear that she has love for herself and her Blackness.
- She is showing every little Black girl who is a fan of hers that it’s ok to express yourself through your hair.
This do was styled by none other than Kim Kimble and inspired by her family and Queen Angela Davis,who she gives credit to in the post. It makes me very happy to see strong, Black and beautiful young ladies out here staying true to themselves. They are our future. It has a real influence on others and sets a precedence for anyone coming up after them. Yep, Zendaya, you are setting the standard my dear and we are happy to be here for it!
Would you ever rock an Afro hair style in your professional space?